THIS WEEK IN RETROSPECT IN THE UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT
The following events took place in the University from Monday, 6th – Friday 10th February 2023
1 We are pleased to announce that in the 2023 Webometric University rankings in Nigeria, the University of Port Harcourt is in the 4th position amongst all Universities. You would recall that we were in the 6th position in 2021, and 5th position in 2022. We have steadily moved up. While we celebrate this achievement, still we are committed to the vision of being the first in the country and favorably competing with other universities around the world. We would like to appreciate the Governing Council for their guidance, the Management for their concerted efforts, our dear staff for their quality publications and services, our students for their strength of character and excellence, and our stakeholders for their tremendous support. We urge ourselves to keep the flame of Excellence burning.
- The Governing Council of the University held its meeting this week and gave appropriate approvals and directives on matters brought to the council from management and various council committees. Members have since departed to their various destinations.
- We received the newly inaugurated Students’ Union executives led by its President, Dickson David Senibo who were on a familiarization visit to the University Management.
- The University held a press conference to outline the conscious policy statements and achievements that thepackeded greatly earned her 4th best university in Nigeria in the just-released Webometric rankings. We provided clarification on the issue of the “2000” students awaiting the second graduation list as no such second graduation list exists anywhere in the University. All students whose results are ready are executively approved to meet deadlines and sent to the University Senate for ratification. We advised students to check their spreadsheets at the various departments and bring any issue discovered to the management for further action.
- We undertook an inspection visit to assess the functionality of the newly installed solar lights on the road leading to the University’s main gate
- We inspected the level of work at the construction site of the new Convocation Arena.
- We participated in the public presentation of the Book “Emerging Issues in Economic Policies & Development in Nigeria” in honor of professor W.J. Okowa and professor T. J. Agiobenebo. The event which was held at the Institute of Petroleum Studies (IPS) was a huge success.
- We received the Directives of the Minister of Education on the closure of schools as conveyed to us by the Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission. The Senate of the University will meet on Monday, 13th February to adopt the directive and make the necessary pronouncements.
- We attended matters of national importance in Abuja on Thursday, 9th February 2023, and have since returned to the University.
- We received the Director of Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) for the South-South zone in the University. Collaboration talks are currently ongoing.
We appreciate the roles you all played at your various designated units during the week under review.
Prof. Owunari A. Georgewill, FRSB, FIIA, FWASOT, FCSI, FFs, FWASOP, FECRMI, FIARSA, and FIHSC.
Vice-Chancellor, University of Port Harcourt
Leave a Reply