The attention of the leadership of the National Union of Rivers State Students (NURSS) National Secretariat has been drawn to the recent happening at the University of Port Harcourt, with regards to the appointment of a new Vice Chancellor.
NURSS is saddened with the act of some students leaders who have descended into the arena of the contest. This is regrettable because students do not have any role to play in the election and appointment of a Vice Chancellor.
Furthermore we call on those students leaders directly involved and the general public to take note of the following;We therefore state that:
1. On no account should any student or group of students be actively or passively involved in the VC-ship contest as we don’t have any role to play in the elections.
2. Students that may have been involved in the past are advised to desist from entangling themselves with these issues as it has the tendency to cause more harm than good for the students.
3. The issue of who becomes the Vice Chancellor has never been the responsibility of the students’ community.
4. We therefore encourage students to stop campaigning for candidates vying for the VC-ship of University of Port Harcourt and any other institutions as it will divide the students community due to diversity in interest.
5. All candidates are Rivers sons and as such we will not allow any student or group of students to ridicule and abuse their interest.
6. We must understand that it will be victory for all true Rivers State sons and daughters when any of the aspirants win.
7. The leadership of NURSS National is ready to work with whoever emerges as Vice Chancellor of the university of Port Harcourt, as we wish all of them luck in this contest.
8. We would be proud to see another Rivers son continue as Vice Chancellor of the institution, as our prayers are with all the candidates.
God bless Rivers State StudentsGod bless Rivers StateViva Aluta!!!
Comr Zachariah Levi George (Executive President NURSS National Secretariat)
Comr Ellah Darlington (Public Relations Officer NURSS National Secretariat)