The Rivers State Government has confirmed the outbreak of a fire incident at Rumuepirikom market in Obio Akpor LGA. The inferno destroyed valuables in over 14 shops in the market yesterday.
The state commissioner for Special Duties, Dr. Barine Thomas, confirmed the development to journalists at the scene of the incident. He said, the fire outbreak was as a result of electrical fault.
The commissioner who commended fire fighters for their efforts in putting off the inferno, warned traders to always put-off their switches before leaving their shops. He noted that if all the appliances were put-off, the incident wouldn’t have occurred.
Dr Barine equally commended police officers of the kala division and members of the communities for their efforts. He furthermore, cautioned residents not to store petroleum products in their homes, in anticipation of the expected lockdown in the LGA. Be mindful of how you handle materials capable of causing fire outbreaks, he warned.
Meanwhile affected traders have called on the state government to assist them in anyway they can. This is to enable them feed during this period as they have lost their source of livelihood.