ESOCS Devotional 18 June
TEXT: JOHN 14:22-31
MEMORY VERSE:: “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” John 14:26 KJV
The Holy Spirit is one of the best gifts the Father gave to humanity. His arrival on the day of Pentecost speaks volume of the tremendous and powerful nature of His ministry. The entire city gathered at the impact of His ministry. Racial, tribal, and language barriers were broken at the frequency of His presence (Acts 2:1-13). The statement of Jesus Christ in John 16:7 clearly emphasize the unique impact the ministry of the Holy Spirit makes in the life of a believer. He said, “Nevertheless I tell you the truth, it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.” Our anchor scripture reveals the cardinal ministry of the Holy Spirit. Here are a few of them: ESOCS Devotional 18 June
- Comforter: This is one major ministry of the Holy Spirit. It is clear that the world we live in is filled with too many issues, trials, temptations, and agonizing and depressing situations. Hence, people need encouragement. One of the trending vices that the society is faced with is people (young ones) committing suicide due to depression. The Holy Spirit, therefore, has the core responsibility to ease believers of the stress of the world, encourage them in time of depression, failure, and disappointment. He consoles, revives, refreshes, assists, provides support, and helps people at all times. Anyone going through challenges, and is at the verge of giving up, receives the touch and visit of the Holy Spirit.
- Teaching: Learning never ends; even a Professor continues to learn. The Holy Spirit is the ever-present and tireless teacher. Interestingly, He teaches everything “… he shall teach you all things…” Under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit, you could learn science, arts, management, finances, engineering, law, psychology, spirituality, demonology, church growth, soul winning, marriage counselling, administration etc. Anything you want to learn, the Holy Spirit teaches it.
- Remembering: There is always the tendency for humans to forget easily; but the Holy Spirit ensures always that things are brought to our remembrance. Whatever we have learnt overtime, the Holy Spirit helps us remember. We recommend the Holy Spirit and His ministry to every Christian.
BOTTOM LINE: Until you receive the Holy Spirit you may not be able to benefit from His ministry.
- Never give up on life, the Holy Spirit is always available to comfort you.
- Learn to engage the ministry of the Holy Spirit at all times through word study, prayers, and constant fellowship with Him in worship.
- Receive the Holy Spirit today into your life for His ministry to begin working today for you.
PRAYER POINT: Lord, thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit; thank you for His ministry to mankind; help us to be endowed with His ministry today and forever for our benefit, in Jesus’ name.
FURTHER READING: EZEKIEL 12:1-11; 12:12-28; JOHN 15:1-19