Daily Manna 18 June
KEY VERSE: “As I live, saith the Lord GOD, Sodom thy sister hath not done, she nor her daughters, as thou hast done, thou and thy daughters.” – (Ezekiel 16:48)
TEXT: Ezekiel 16:44-52
44. Behold, every one that useth proverbs shall use this proverb against thee, saying, As is the mother, so is her daughter.
45. Thou art thy mother’s daughter, that lotheth her husband and her children; and thou art the sister of thy sisters, which lothed their husbands and their children; your mother was an Hittite, and your father an Amorite.
46. And thine elder sister is Samaria, she and her daughters that dwell at thy left hand; and thy younger sister, that dwelleth at thy right hand, is Sodom and her daughters.
47. Yet hast thou not walked after their ways, nor done after their abominations; but, as if that were a very little thing, thou wast corrupted more than they in all thy ways.
48. As I live, saith the Lord GOD, Sodom thy sister hath not done, she nor her daughters, as thou hast done, thou and thy daughters.
49. Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
50. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me; therefore I took them away as I saw good.
51. Neither hath Samaria committed half of thy sins; but thou hast multiplied thine abominations more than they, and hast justified thy sisters in all thine abominations which thou hast done.
52. Thou also, which hast judged thy sisters, bear thine own shame for thy sins that thou hast committed more abominable than they; they are more righteous than thou; yea, be thou confounded also, and bear thy shame, in that thou hast justified thy sisters. Daily Manna 18 June
It was reported recently on BBC that a Prime Minister in a European country officially married his male partner a few months after his country’s parliament lifted the gay marriage ban. He became the second EU leader to marry a same-sex partner while in office.
From the passage, Prophet Ezekiel denounced Judah as a nation whose abominations were worse than those of Sodom because they had surpassed other nations in their abominable practices. He decried the apparent lack of feelings or guilt among the inhabitants of Judah and Israel. Israel and her sister Judah were involved in the worship of other gods.
They worshipped the Canaanite Baal whose worship was a rampage of gluttony, drunkenness and ritual prostitution. They burnt their children in sacrifice to strange gods and imbibed all the immoral lifestyles of other nations to provoke God to anger.
Today, the present world has overtaken Sodom and Gomorrah in immorality and wickedness. Man has degraded himself to the point of getting married to animals. The LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) community is ever increasing with new abominable sexual orientations added every day.
The world classifies all these under the caption of “human rights” and the need to accept others’ diversity. This was exactly what happened in Judah at this time. Ezekiel was seen as a fanatic and a conservative prophet who condemns everything done in the nation.
Like Ezekiel, we must condemn the immorality of the current age and not allow ourselves to be polluted and caught in its evil web. This is the only way we can escape being punished with them on the judgment day.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Come out from present-day Sodom.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Colossians 1-4