Daily Manna 15 June
KEY VERSE: “And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal.” – (2 Kings 11:1)
TEXT: 2 Kings 11:1-12
1. And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal.
2. But Jehosheba, the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king’s sons which were slain; and they hid him, even him and his nurse, in the bedchamber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain.
3. And he was with her hid in the house of the LORD six years. And Athaliah did reign over the land.
4. And the seventh year Jehoiada sent and fetched the rulers over hundreds, with the captains and the guard, and brought them to him into the house of the LORD, and made a covenant with them, and took an oath of them in the house of the LORD, and shewed them the king’s son.
5. And he commanded them, saying, This is the thing that ye shall do; A third part of you that enter in on the sabbath shall even be keepers of the watch of the king’s house;
6. And a third part shall be at the gate of Sur; and a third part at the gate behind the guard; so shall ye keep the watch of the house, that it be not broken down.
7. And two parts of all you that go forth on the sabbath, even they shall keep the watch of the house of the LORD about the king.
8. And ye shall compass the king round about, every man with his weapons in his hand; and he that cometh within the ranges, let him be slain; and be ye with the king as he goeth out and as he cometh in.
9. And the captains over the hundreds did according to all things that Jehoiada the priest commanded; and they took every man his men that were to come in on the sabbath, with them that should go out on the sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.
10. And to the captains over hundreds did the priest give king David’s spears and shields, that were in the temple of the LORD.
11. And the guard stood, every man with his weapons in his hand, round about the king, from the right corner of the temple to the left corner of the temple, along by the altar and the temple.
12. And he brought forth the king’s son, and put the crown upon him, and gave him the testimony; and they made him king, and anointed him; and they clapped their hands, and said, God save the king. Daily Manna 15 June
What has come to be referred to as the Arab Spring was a series of pro-democracy uprisings that enveloped several largely Muslim countries, including Tunisia, Morocco, Syria, Libya, Egypt and Bahrain. The events in these nations generally began in the spring of 2011 which led to the removal of popular dictators and brought social and political change.
From the passage under review, the southern kingdom of Judah was now being consumed by the venom of the poisonous snake they allowed in their nation. Athaliah, the daughter of Omri, a king in the idolatrous northern kingdom of Israel, came into the royal family of Judah by marriage. She killed her own grandchildren and took control of the nation. But unknown to her, Jehoash, one of the king’s sons was hidden by her nurse. Seven years later, Athaliah was overthrown after a well-planned military operation. Thus, her impunity and illegality was brought to an end.
The actions of Athaliah were bizarre, illegal and arbitrary. This was unbecoming of a mother and grandmother. As surprising as her actions were, it was however not unexpected considering the witchcraft and wickedness in the idolatrous family of Omri, Ahab and Jezebel. She was a product of that system and found her way into the southern kingdom through marriage.
Dictators do not have the support of the people. They may continue for years, but will come to an abrupt end sooner or later. They will soon have their days in court when the table turns, and justice begins to prevail. Those who rule with an iron fist and refuse to give room for freedom, equity and justice, will eventually be removed and their impunity cannot continue.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Tyranny will not last forever.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Ephesians 1-3