The reign of Chief Nyesom Wike, as the Governor of our dear Rivers State today, 29th May, ended on a wrong note. His administration’s poor performance has only left us with many regrets and sighs instead of out pouring of accolades and praises.
As a popular quip has it, “What ever has a beginning will sure have an end”. We are rather pleased that days of promise and fail, days of Executive racality, injustice, inequitable distribution of State resources and development among the 23 Local Government Areas of the state are over.
Well, to those who believed in the media jamboree the former governor of the state, Wike, used in painting his little efforts in Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt City LGAs to be as if he has painted every part of the state with gold, we make bold to state here that Wike’s administration failed in every aspect of it.
Upon the birth of that administration Chief Nyesom Wike smoothened the minds of everyone who listened to him with juicy promises, but as we evaluate his administration’s activities today, it is clear that he achieved below expectation.
We had engaged his administration in several fora demanding that he fulfil his promises to the people of the state, but we watched with keen interested and can concluded that Wike was not a governor for the people, rather, Governor of Rivers State for Rumuepirikom and Obio/Akpor.
Just to mention but few:
- The governor, who promised the Promotion of Civil Servants and ensure that all of their entitlements are paid during his administration failed in every ramifications to fulfil it. It is unfortunate.
- Chief Nyesom Wike had in 2015 and 2019 vowed to Create 10,000 to remove youths off the streets and engage them meaningfully, but reverse was the case. We only saw temporary employments given to few individuals at flyover construction sites. The jobs were terminated at the completion of this projects. We also heard of few opportunities created for direct cronies and family members of the former governor from Rumuepirikom and Obio/Akpor LGA.
- The governor also failed in giving scholarships to students of Rivers Origin as he had promised. One who failed to invest in Education failed in preparing the future generation.
- The refusal of Chief Wike to Pay Gratuity and Pension to retirees who had served the state meritoriously is one issues that pulls tears off our eyes. The Governor despite series of appeals and demonstrations maintained his stance not to pay these fathers and mothers what is due them.
- Wike also failed to Extend equitable development to the 23 Local Government Areas of the state. The few projects he carried out were only sited in Obio/Akpor.
Why we strive to forget the pains of Wike-led administration, we pray that Wike will never happen to Rivers State again.
We, however, call on the new Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminialaye Fubara, to follow the path of Conscience, justice and Peace. Our interest is that what is good for that gander is good for the goose. It is time for the state to have a fresh breathe
God bless Rivers State
Comrade Imeabe Saviour Oscar
South South Youth initiative