Open Heaven 18 August 2022
MEMORISE: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 1 Peter 1:7
BIBLE READING: Revelation 3:7-13 (KJV)
7. And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8. I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
13. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Jesus was full of praises for the Philadelphian Church. He also gave them several promises, only warning them to hold fast. Such a beautiful letter!
In AD 17, Philadelphia experienced a lot of earthquakes. The tremors kept the people of Philadelphia constantly alert.When people have no troubles, they feel so relaxed and assume that they dont need God. That is why 1 Peter 1:7 says that trials come to strengthen our faith. The reason you see so much more revival in Africa
these days than in the developed world is probably that what we have to pray for in the developing countries is always provided by the respective governments of nations in the developed world. Thus, we have no choice than to do as David did in Psalms 121:1-3 to look up to the Lord from whence cometh our help. Once in a while when God sees that a Christian is beginning to fall into spiritual sleep, He sends a trial to wake him up. I believe one of the reasons Solomon started worshipping idols is that after building the temple, he became idle and forgot God. You must always look for new mountains to conquer, you must always say, like Caleb in Joshua 14:12 give me this mountain. Dont ever feel relaxed as if you dont need God. If after building the temple, Solomon had decided to advance the Kingdom of God further, he would have had the constant need to rely on God. If you have made a lot of money, use the money to start organising outreaches for the sinners and the poor. Just remain busy for God, asking for new mountains to conquer all the time and you will never forget Him. History tells us that the Philadelphian Church was a mission-minded one. The members were always witnessing and sending people out on missions. When the Mohammedans came to Asia minor and all the other Churches collapsed, the Philadelphian Church stood firm. There is still a Church in Philadelphia to date. This tells us very clearly that if you are always witnessing, if you are always winning souls, the devil will not be able to make you fall.
PRAYER POINT: If you want your faith to last to the end, become a soulwinner.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Isaiah 45 – 49
Thank you for studying today’s Open Heaven – Letter to the Philadelphian Church I – written by Pastor Enoch A.
Don’t forget to Follow Elanhub on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Open Heaven 18 August 2022