ESOCS Devotional 19 July 2023
MEMORY VERSE: “And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.” Luke 6:31 KJV
TEXT: LUKE 6:27-38 (KJV)
27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.
30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
Every good progenitor usually initiates the process they want to see. Change they say begins with me, so I must show working, take the lead and walk the talk. We must deliver our generation from the liability mentality; always complaining but never ready to take any action.
Our text is the scripture upon which the “Golden Rule” is hinged. It is a message that encourages everyone to take the lead in whatever it is we want to get from others or even see in them.
Interestingly, this is the message of Jesus Christ – practical Christianity. In literally all the uses of life, he took the lead and pointed us to the right way.
Here are some of the areas we need to take the lead:
- LOVE: It is not possible to be a love expectant when you do not love yourself. All the times you ever complained of not being loved; did you also consider how many persons you loved? We must come to the point where we are at the forefront of showing love, not just to family members but to everyone in the church and society at large. If we all take the lead in the area of love, we will collectively deal with the issues of hatred, enmity, rancor and acrimony in our generation. The next time you enter an environment of hatred, initiate the process of loving and you will be glad you did.
- PEACE: Ironically, we pray for peace but are never peaceful. We flame up at the slightest provocation. Whether it has to do with marital peace, family peace, association, church, society or National Peace, the process surely begins with you. Yes! You have the key to the peace you are looking for in your environment. Take the lead today in making peace and be rest assured that the crises will be over.
- FORGIVENESS: “And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors” Matt 6:12. You can’t be expecting forgiveness when you are not a forgiver yourself. We can categorically state that the bitterness and rancor that exist among ourselves is because we have failed to take the lead in forgiving the offenders and also ourselves. Nothing ends quarrel like when you sincerely apologize. Be a forgiver today, even in your marriage, for marriage is about two forgivers living together.
- SERVICE: There are those who are good at complaining on how the house is unkempt, the church not tidy, the office not properly cleaned, chairs, and altar unclean. Group workers are not working; worker in vineyard is not doing his work. I strongly feel that if we take the lead, the other person will naturally sit up and render effective service.
- Lead the campaign for love and peace everywhere you are.
- Father, thank you for the admonition and grant us the grace to always take the lead.
FURTHER READING: Joshua 8:10-23; Daniel 9:1-19; Acts 19:8-20
Thank you for reading the ESOCS Devotional today. Please share and follow us on all our platforms to contribute to the spread of the Gospel.
ESOCS Devotional 19 July 2023