The National Working Committee of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has distanced itself from the reported withdrawal of some of its chairmanship candidates in the forthcoming Abuja Area Council elections, describing the development as shameful and lacking the consent of the party.
In a press statement issued on February 20, 2026, and signed by the National Publicity Secretary, Comrade Ini Ememobong, the party said it received the news of the candidates’ withdrawal with “utter dismay.”
The PDP condemned the action as anti-democratic, stressing that democracy thrives on healthy electoral competition rather than what it described as “forced or induced melodramatic consensus” currently being witnessed in the build-up to the FCT local council elections.
The party further alleged that the situation reflects what it termed “voodoo democracy” being promoted by individuals it accused of parading themselves as leaders of the PDP, whose interest, it claimed, is to hold the party for the President.
According to the statement, such actions are part of a broader plan to allegedly compel, induce or cajole other candidates to step down ahead of the presidential election to ensure a smooth return to Aso Rock Villa, despite what the party described as the abysmal performance of the current administration.
The PDP said it had previously “excommunicated” those involved in such acts in a bid to rebuild a strong opposition party capable of mounting a credible challenge for power in 2027.
The party also called on voters in the Federal Capital Territory to turn out and protect their votes during the elections. It urged citizens to ensure that Presiding Officers transmit Form EC8A immediately after results are announced at polling units.
The statement reaffirmed the party’s commitment to democratic principles and competitive elections in the FCT.













